Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Candidates spending big on ads

According to Freep.com
More than $13 million was spent on Michigan TV ads from Memorial Day to Labor Day by candidates John McCain and Barack Obama and their supporters -- a 40% increase over 2004.


I constantly wonder why the candidates continue to spend so much (if you ask me these numbers are just ridiculous) on television advertisement and not on internet advertising and the like. I, like many others, thought that his election would see more of the internet boom and less on the television, but the shift hasn't taken place. Why is this happening? I think it is because so much internet advertising is "free" and done automatically using tools like Google and Youtube that the candidates don't want to "waste" their money (although they seem to have enough to do whatever they want to anyway) on something that will be done without spending a single dime.

4 comments:

Cranky Doc said...

Take a look at the readings for 9/8, and you'll see a large portion of the answer start to come into focus.

Matt Williams said...

I'm going to hazard a guess. The majority of the online audience is already decided. The niche media market online might mean that the internet isn't for those who are still up in the air.

Matt Williams said...

Better yet. We mediate the already mediated net.

Daniel said...

I must confess that to this point I haven't done the readings that Dr. Pimpare explained would help understand this. However, Matt, what makes you think that "the majority of the online audience is already decided"? Although I don't have any evidence for this point, I think the exact opposite, because my opinion is that the internet audience is ALMOST EVERYBODY in today's day, therefore, if you agree with that statement (which you may not) are you suggesting that the majority of Americans are still undecided?